Main areas of activity
ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance principles) principles are operational principles based on environmental protection, creation of favorable social conditions and good governance for sustainable development.
Main direction of research activity is conducting research and analytical work in the field of sustainable economic development in accordance with the principles of ESG, low-carbon development, green economy.
Within the framework of the main direction, participation is carried out in formation of the agenda of sustainable economic development in accordance with the principles of ESG, low-carbon development, green economy in Kazakhstan at the state level, development of appropriate recommendations and proposals, including legislative initiatives.
In addition, documents of the state planning system (strategies, concepts, development plans, national projects) are being developed.
Analytical, expert/consulting support is provided to businesses on issues of sustainable development, introduction and implementation of practices by Kazakhstan companies that meet the principles of ESG, low-carbon development, and green economy.
A dialogue is also being organized with government agencies, entrepreneurs and members of the expert community to develop a position on ESG transformation, low-carbon development, and green economy.
The Institute uses a set of modeling tools:
• Kazakhstan's Energy System Model - TIMES: TIMES model (The Integrated MARKAL-EFOM System, IEA-ETSAP) was developed to conduct in-depth energy and environmental analyses and covers all energy sectors (extraction, production, transformation, transportation, distribution and consumption). Opportunities: Conducting scenario calculations on greenhouse gas emissions, energy policies in the field of energy efficiency and energy structure;
• Kazakhstan Macroeconomics Model - CGE: CGE model (Computable General Equilibrium) was developed to conduct an in-depth analysis of impact on the economy of changes in internal and external factors and policies. CGE model covers all sectors of the economy and takes into account all existing intersectoral links. Opportunities: Conducting scenario calculations on macroeconomic policies and various internal and external shocks to the Kazakhstan economic sectors;
• Kazakhstan Sectoral Models - SD: SD (System Dynamics) sectoral models have been developed for detailed analysis of sectors that are vulnerable to climate policies and trends. Opportunities: Carrying out various policies for scenario calculations in the sectors of agriculture, coal mining and use, housing and communal services, transport.
The Economic Research Institute maintains expert relations with international organizations and research institutes:
• UN PAGE (Partnership for action on green economy);
• National Union for ESG Sustainable Development;
• World Bank;
• KnowlEdge Srl, Olgiate Olona, Italy - Geneva, Switzerland
• DIW ECON GmbH, Berlin, Germany
• National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
• German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ GmbH), Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
• E4SMA s.r.l., Turin, Italy